Friday 25 February 2011

Films: The Social Network (2010)

Dir: David Fincher
Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake


I grew up in the Facebook age. I used Facebook right through university and still, four years later, religiously check 'My page' daily. When Mark Zuckerberg invented Facebook (and let's, for arguments sake, say he did), he discovered Atlantis.

I feel like I use the phrase 'pleasantly surprised' too much. It certainly applies to my reaction to this movie. Eisenberg's Zuckerberg is neurotic, arrogant, hilarious, mond-bogglingly intelligent and speaks at an unbelievable rate. British star-on-the-rise, Andrew Garfield, plays his much maligned best friend and colleague, with a gutsy and likeable performance. And, Justin Timberlake? Yeah. Pleasantly surprised. Add the fast paced dialogue (Aaron Sorkin at the helm) and masterful direction, and you have a serious Oscar contender.


My rating: ***** 5/5 stars
Recommendation: Don't sneer at 'the Facebook film.' It's a brilliant film about a once-in-a-generation life-altering invention.

**Later note: That one took me 3 minutes. Is that allowed? **

No comments: