Sunday 29 April 2007

Films to see this month...

There are a whole bunch of films that i'd like to see in the next few weeks (student loan permitting). Hang on, can we pause for a moment to reflect on the fact that it is almost May already?!!

Some of the upcoming releases look, well, crap. It has to be said, Hollywood has taken to churning out some big-budget big flops of late. However, there are a few that seem to be a little different from the current phase of ambiguous, one-worded titles, like Fracture and Premonition.

So, here's my movie wish list before they come and go from the cinema, which they will in about a fortnight:

*Half-Nelson: This has been out for a week or so now, and has recieved some great reviews. It's Ryan Gosling (also in the overly-dramatically advertised Fracture) as a school teacher (no, I'm not obsessed with films set in school!) who lives a secret life as a drug addict. An unlikely friendship flourishes with one of his students who discovers his secrets. It's a case of who will have to inspire who to better things.

*Spiderman-3: I'm a sucker for a comic-book flick. If only because I've seen the other two and would feel cheated out of a trilogy if I didn't watch. Spiderman is back...in black.

*The Painted Veil: The old cinematic adaptation wins out again in 1920s heritage film style. Ed Norton (one of my all time favourites) and Naomi Watts (who has an Oscar and Norton doesn't - does that not seem unjust to anyone else?) are a couple in a troubled marriage who find unexpected unity and forgiveness amidst a cholera epidemic in China.


There we go. Chances are, it'll be Christmas before I actually see them, but I can hope!
Also, be prepared for mounting excitement about the latest Harry Potter release (Film June, Book July) and Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Yes!


UPDATE:
I retract the statement about Naomi Watts' Oscar win. She has, infact, also never won an academy award but I'm reliably informed that they are both nominated for one for The Painted Veil. Thanks, Richard! (Richard's Naomi Watts blog can be found here)

2 comments:

Richard Steandric Ricsteand said...

neither naomi watts nor edward norton have ever won an oscar award, but they have both been nominated before this film.

BeckyJules said...

Ooh, i've attracted something of an expert, I see! And you're quite right, I thought she'd won for 21 Grams but I was incorrect!

It's not that I don't like her, just I think Nortons penchant for slightly quirky and brilliant roles should be rewarded!!